Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Only in DC

Its late, and I have to go to work tomorrow so this won't be long. Tonight we went to the movies. We saw Hancock. Fun movie, but I recommend waiting until you can rent it. It isn't worth the full movie price in my opinion. Anyway, we were sitting in the theatre, which was almost empty, and right before the movie started some people walked in and sat down a couple seats away from us. So far the only thing unusual was that the guy creeped me out. Then after a moment I smell alcohol. So I am thinking the guy is a bit tipsy. Then I hear a clanking noise. I look over and see the guy holding a really fancy water bottle. I had never seen a water bottle shaped quite like this one, so I watched as he put the water bottle close to the floor. What happened next floored me. After a second or two, he hands his date a martini, in a martini glass! That's right, the water bottle was really a cocktail mixer and the clinking noise was him shaking the martinis, not stirring. I couldn't believe it. In fact, we are both we were both astounded.

The second fun thing that happened this week happened today. I was in the Senate Gallery to witness Senator Kennedy's triumphant return. However, I predict we don't see him again until after the conventions. It was actually an amazing moment to see him walk onto the floor, have everyone present, both on the floor and in the gallery, give a standing ovation for a few minutes, and watch him vote. To get the full effect of what happened, you had to be there.

The third fun thing was yesterday. We decided to go to dinner at a place called Firefly. We had heard great things about it, and were told the prices were pretty reasonable. The prices were actually a little higher than we anticipated. Still not bad, but a bit high. We knew we were in a nice place because the executive chef's name was on the menu. That was when I realized we were getting small portion, but the presentation would be marvelous. Well, after we ordered we both got really tired so we just sat there not talking to each other, and I guess management was afraid we hated the place so they apologized for taking so long to cook the food. That surprised us because we hadn't been waiting all that long, but I guess when we both get tired, we both look upset. Well, the food comes out, and it was fantastic. At the end of our meal the waiter again apologizes for the wait and tells us that dessert is on the house. Now, this restaurant, has one of those menus that changes with what ingredients are in season and they had just added Bing Cherry Cobbler to the menu, so we ordered two. We got two $9 desserts for free, just because my natural face is an angry one.

Well, I won't be posting again for a while. Saturday I go to Gettysburg and Harper's Ferry, and Kerri goes to a friend's wedding, so it will probably be after that before I post again.

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

Okay, truthfully, you both do look angry when you're tired. Also, I don't talk to either of you when you have your angry faces on because I know you just need some time alone.