Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Chiquitita

Did you know that means "little girl" in Spanish? I didn't. Did you also know that ABBA's song by the same name was the first single on their album titled Voulez-Vous. Did you also know they released a Spanish version? Not only was it is Spanish, but our Swedish friends didn't know Spanish, so they learned it phonetically and did a dang good job. Take a listen if you want.



And some history about the all time classic Dancing Queen: the demo was called 'Boogaloo', and as the sessions progressed, Andersson and Ulvaeus found inspiration to the dance rhythm in George McCrae Rock Your Baby as well as the drumming on Dr. John album Gumbo. Fältskog and Lyngstad recorded the vocals on sessions in September, and the track was completed three months later.

But this is my favorite part: singer Anni-Frid Lyngstad, apparently started crying when listening. "I found the song so beautiful". Now I know she was only 17, and she is a dancing queen, but I don't find it all so packed of emotion, or technical difficulty, that it brings tears to my eyes. What do you think?

By now you are probably asking "Are there any cool facts about the song "Our Last Summer"" Thank you for asking because there is! In the background of the bridge to this song, during Lasse Wellander's guitar solo, part of the Chess song, 'Anthem' can be heard. Andersson and Ulvaeus had been working on the melody for Anthem for a number of years but had never found a place for it in any ABBA project. When they finally came to use it in the musical Chess they hoped that no one would notice that part of it had already been used in Our Last Summer.

And "Does your Mother know" was originally titled "I Can Do It"

And of course, you can't post about ABBA without paying to my freshman year roommate Fernando from Miami. "Fernando" in Swedish sounds really funny and the Dutch soccer player Fernando Ricksen was named after this tune by his mother.

Well that is enough random facts about ABBA now. I guess this is what happens when you don't want to write a paper. Oh, and before I forget, all facts, however true or false they are, came from our friends at Wikipedia.org

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

Wow. It's nice to know that Wikipedia is helping an entire generation avoid work of all sorts. And, in case you need to turn this into a positive thing for a job application or something, the fact that it even occurred to you to look up random facts about ABBA is a sign of great creativity.