Happy Fourth of July on the eleventh! So since we were here in DC for the fourth we decided to live it up and see everything DC had to offer to celebrate. It was so much fun. We woke up early to go to the National Archives to hear a dramatic reading of the Declaration of Independence. It was kind of fun since they had people impersonating the founding fathers reading it. It was the first time Chase had heard all the grievances we had against England. After the reading, we had perfect seats on the steps of the Archives to watch the parade which I thoroughly enjoyed. We had a few hours to kill before the next event so we got lunch and walked through the botanical gardens. Then we arrived at the Capitol at 4pm, sat through two down pours and waited till the concert at 8pm. It was well worth it. Jerry Lee Lewis was there and it was so amazing to hear him sing especially since I thought he was dead. Then as he sang "Great Balls of Fire", the fireworks display started. We had the perfect seats and the view was magnificent as they lit up the Washington Monument. So much better in person than on PBS. So I decided that I would post some pictures of the events so you can see. I'm sure Chase will have his own opinions of the day. Enjoy!
Reading at the National Archives with Franklin, Jefferson, and Hamilton.



This float had marines reenacting the famous flag raising picture at Iwo Jima.

The Fife and Drum Corp

Our view from our seat on the steps of the Capitol

This the best shot of the fireworks behind the Washington Monument.

1 comment:
Thomas Jefferson and I have the same birthday. Just thought you'd like to know :)
Post a Comment