Look away
To the author of the Jan. 23 letter, "Mind the gap," it is hard to read your last letter and know whether to take you seriously or not. It is something of an insult to our intelligence to read your rant on perceived immodesty, especially when it adopts the position of "it's the woman's fault I can't take my eyes off of her cleavage." One hopes for your sake that your letter was a case of poorly written satire done in bad taste.
Here is a novel idea that those of us with the good sense to use it apply when approached by a sight we perceive as offensive: Don't look! Last time I checked, there isn't a single incident of girls at BYU thrusting their bosoms into your countenance (much to the chagrin of single men everywhere, I'm sure). This is a far more productive use of your time and agency than public attempts at appearing pious. It is not the woman's fault you can't stop staring at her chest, but that of your own incontinence. Did it ever occur to you that one of the reasons women dress that way (if indeed they do) is because most men won't look away when they do? Whatever happened to "hum your favorite hymn" or some such? In the meantime I would be careful that you don't get caught ogling at any more "vicious v-necks." Last time I checked, that's grounds for a sexual harassment suit.
MICHAEL TONKS
Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.
Dangerous cleavage
I sympathize with the cleavage-sensitive student (Jan. 23, "Mind the gap") who spoke of a Testing Center worker "branding a particularly vicious v-neck," and of being so distracted that he lost the ability to read a sign. Recently, I was exiting Japanese class when I was attacked by a fiercely low-cut blouse. It leapt from its wearer's bosom, mercilessly assaulting me like a wicked stream of bullets that each have a gun that shoots additional, smaller bullets. Dazed, I managed to stumble only a few yards towards the exit when I collapsed, inadvertently pulling the fire alarm in the process. An Honor Code rescue squad had to be summoned to perform Chastity Pulmonary Resuscitation on me, and for the rest of the week, I was prone to fainting spells when near the opposite sex.
Take it from me, ladies: cleavage isn't just dishonorable, it's dangerous.
NEIL SELF
Santa Clara, Calif.
Fashion propaganda
I am usually not one to write to the editor; I just sit back and read. But today, something stirred within regarding a viewpoint the DU highlighted about gay fashion.
In the Jan. 23 viewpoint, "Diversity and sexism," the author made it sound like it is mutually exclusive for men to dress fashionable and "gay." She wrote, "If we want to disprove society's accusation against LDS culture-that we alienate gays-we must reject their generalization of fashionable men as gay men." That is propaganda, they are not mutually exclusive.
Yes, there are some trends that are considered both fashionable and "gay." However, there is a huge difference between being fashionable and dressing "gay." My husband, for one, dresses very fashionably ... even more so than me. However, his wardrobe is far from "gay" fashion. I am astonished she would promote "gay" fashion. I understand everyone has their freedom of choice with dress. However, there are some things that should not be allowed on this campus.
As a private university, I whole-heartedly believe they can censor male dress and appearance just as they do women's. Girls are not allowed to prance around campus wearing a mini-skirt and halter top. We have the honor code for good reason. There are just some styles of clothing those of the male gender should not wear; "gay" fashion is one of those. If you still want to be fashionable, find a new fashion.
ASHLEE MANWARING
Springville
My personal Favorite is the second one. I hope this made you laugh.
2 comments:
I can't tell you how many tests I've totally blown because the chick in the testing center was showing off her cleavage. This is a serious problem! I think we should protest until the girls all over campus have to walk around in a burlap sack.
Oh, wait. It wasn't cleavage that blew my test-taking ability. It was the James Bond marathon. Still, boobs.
Wow! This post is so fantastic - it made me happy. Oh BYU. My favorite was the second one as well. Do guys realize how hard it is to cover the girls up (sometimes they just scream to be seen).
Post a Comment