Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Housekeeping problem

The developer that built our apartment decided to save money and install cheap things. One of those cheap things is the carpet. If you run your fingers across it you can actually roll a ball of carpet fibers. When we vacuum, we put the vacuum on the bare floor setting and still suck up enough carpet fibers to clog the vacuum. Well, I was vacuuming today and I noticed a problem, due to regular wear and tear (meaning putting our feet on the floor when we sit on the couch) we have a rather deep traffic pattern in front of the couch that won't come up from vacuuming (it is also the one place that you can't collect carpet fibers any more). I don't want to loose any of our deposit, or be charged for this regular wear and tear. Any suggestions on how to make it look normal?

4 comments:

La Vita Bella said...

Hey Kerri, I just have to say thank you for posting this! I know this sounds weird, but we just bought a house and the guy had put in new carpet. Well, you took the words right out of my mouth with your post on the quality and problems we have with our cheap carpet. Well, Dan keeps telling me it's just new and won't admit it's cheap, but you have added a second opinion to prove him wrong. I can't even vacuum for 20 seconds without it clogging. It's extremely annoying, as you know. I'm sorry about your problem and don't have a solution. Maybe try calling the owner and telling him, so that when you do move out, it'll be documented. How are you by the way? :)

Chelsea said...

I'd buy a cheap rug or two (or more) and lay those over the traffic areas that are wearing thin. Ikea has cheap ones (as low as $2 a rug if you're not too picky about how it looks). Also, don't vacuum too often. Hold off as long as possible. And possibly consider getting the advice of a legal professional if they don't refund your entire deposit.

Mindy said...

I'd second the rug suggestion. Our carpets are old and nasty, so we use rugs to cover the bad spots.

Frances said...

Get a rug!!! This way if you do wear normal traffic patterns into the carpet you it will be into your own rug.