Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I hope we can

Today is a historic day (there I said it. but I am not saying it again). I started watching inauguration coverage at 3 am. I am going on close to 14 hours now. I know I am a political dork, but the reason I started watching so early is that I couldn't sleep last night, and I was watching TV. At 3 AM CNN started American Morning, and I haven't stopped watching. The ceremony was amazing. I love the tradition (even though most of the traditions we have today started in 1980 or later) I love watching a smooth transition of power, and I love seeing the sites that I saw everyday for 4 months. But for that reason it was also bittersweet. I miss DC. I miss the atmosphere, the energy, and the monuments. I can't wait to return. If all goes well Kerri and I will be there by the end of the summer.

Although overall I have loved today, I have to say I did not like the inaugural address. I felt it lacked a clear message, it wasn't as inspiring as I hoped, it was sort of mediocre in my opinion. Obama did do a very good job at defining his foreign policy, but it lacked something that his election day speech had. My favorite part of the inauguration was the poem written and read by Elizabeth Alexander. I thought that was powerful.

I am excited to see how Obama responds to the Middle East. I hope that Clinton gets confirmed quickly. I think Sen. Cornyn is being stupid by objecting to a voice vote, which is delaying Clinton's certain confirmation. I find it interesting that Hatch is supporting Geithner for treasury secretary even though he failed to pay taxes for a couple of years. I find it more surprising that the republicans are so injured and crippled that they aren't raising a stink about it. And I hope that Senator Kennedy makes a quick recovery.

I am excited to see what happens. Change is good.

No comments: