Standing behind the "Bros"
The viewpoint on the East Coast being better than the West Coast needs to be addressed. I hate to say this, but the way the West was portrayed made me a little butthurt. Southern California, which is where this "Bro Nation" is from, should never be looked upon so superficially. So-Cal, as the "bros" say it, is a huge melting pot and I don't think the author of the East Coast viewpoint likes what's cooking. I'm not going to deny the existence of bros, and especially bad representations of them here at BYU. However, I would like people to keep in mind that these bros are white - the minorities of their area. As a person of a light brown color, I'd have to say that making fun of bros is a bit racist and maybe xenophobic. The bros have been thrown into a melting pot that my people have created and have come out semi-messed up. They don't know what it's like to be in the elite East Coast, with your precious Harvard in wonderful Massachusetts that you are all so fond of spelling. Instead, they are having an identity crisis by trying to be white in the way they look while speaking like English is their third language like my immigrant grandma. I'm not ashamed of these bros and their overly fake-baked girlfriends (they just want to be tan like the rest of us.) I am proud of them and will stand with them wherever they be at.
TAWNEE MADLEN
San Diego
After reading this letter I was laughing out loud, something I don't do often. I hope you enjoyed it.
Oh, and in other news, the Daily Universe had the wrong punctuation in advertisements for this week's forum address by Lynne Truss. That's sad, considering Lynne Truss's address was about punctuation errors. Sadly, I don't think the Daily Universe did it on purpose.
3 comments:
Butthurt is what she should have been feeling from the swift kicks she'd get from the dorky people who had Lynne Truss sign their books at the forum.
Hehehe I can't wait to use Butthurt now. And please stop complaining So Cal you sound like and idiot
Lynne Truss is awesome! And I'd do more than make the author's butt hurt.
Post a Comment