Monday, November 10, 2008

Democracy

Are you sick of me yet? I feel like blogging about one more issue: Prop 8 protests. I am getting really sick and tired of it. I don't understand what they are doing. I feel they are unfairly targeting 1 religion (well, at least all the high profile protests are), and I think that while the GLBT community is asking for tolerance and inclusion, they are exhibiting just the opposite. These protests are not going away and now groups are popping on facebook (what is the point of groups on facebook anyway?) and protests are spreading from California to Utah to New York.

I can see why people are upset about the outcome of Prop 8. but guess what 45% of the United States is upset about Obama too. We don't see any protests about that do we? What would happen if there were protests against the DNC and other big contributors to Obama's campaign because people were upset about Obama? Nothing. The same thing is happening here.

The great thing about democracy is that it works. The people of California voted in favor of Prop 8. Opponents of Prop 8 have the wonderful opportunity to propose a different amendment in the future. I think it is sad that people opposed to Prop 8 are blaming the LDS church for its failure. They claim that before the LDS church became heavily involved in the pro-prop 8 campaign. Well, lets face it. Pro-prop 8 campaigners were better at mobilizing their troops than anti-prop 8 so they won. Just like Obama was better at mobilizing his supporters than McCain and voila, Obama won. That is the nature of campaigns.

So to all those out there who were against prop 8 and are angry. I understand. But you failed. Accept it, move on, and begin preparing your next move. Protests aren't going to change anything. Exercise your right to free speech, but be fair about it. Respect others people's opinions. Let the issue die so that I don't have to hear about it anymore!

thank you.

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

Amen, brother! Also, Jesus is my friend.