Friday, September 5, 2008

We've been busy

k, I know that it has been a while since we posted. But to be fair, we were without Internet until this past Tuesday. We have moved just about everything out of my parents house and into our new apartment, and we have unpacked most of it. The apartment is feeling like home and we love it. Of course, everything isn't perfect, and the counter top people scratched some cabinets pretty bad before we moved in, but it is livable. We have a two story condo with the kitchen, dining area, and living room on the first floor (with a small balcony off the living room) and two bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs. The ceilings are 10 feet high which is great because I spent all of last year ducking my head whenever I walked through our last apartment, and we have central air. Pictures are at the end of the post No pictures of the bathroom or our bedroom because we both woke up really tired this morning and, well, they are in no state to be shown on the web.

This week I also started school. It is my last year! I am finally going to graduate after 6 years of really hard work! The original plan was to graduate in December. However, I have changed my mind. I dropped one of my GEs because I just didn't want to put 8 hours of work a week into a class that I didn't care about. And, since we will be here until next year anyway, next semester I will take Humanities then instead.

So let me give you a rundown of my classes

Biology 100: I am in a class of 100, 60-87% of which are seniors like me. There are only 5 freshmen and the class has no textbook. Every other Wednesday is movie day, and the tests are multiple choice. The first day of class my professor gave us his theory on swearing, and then proceeded to tell us how much fun he has on Halloween scaring little kids. The Professor himself has been teaching at BYU for over 30 years, and is retiring in 3 years. He has never taught Biology before, and is a soil scientist. He really could care less about how hard the class is, and what the administration thinks about his grade distribution, so there is no curve. I couldn't pass a golden opportunity to take such an easy class, so I decided not to drop this one.

Econ 459: International Monetary Theory. Need I say more? The class actually won't be too bad. I will have to learn matrix algebra, but that is why I married Kerri (she is a great tutor). There are 3 papers due, but econ professors can't speak correctly let alone write (my professor's words, not mine) and the only reason we have to write papers is because the department is making us, therefore they will be easy. It is my last econ class, and it is macro, not micro which is good.

Poli Sci 341: Western European Politics. You know you have a winner professor when he shows British comedies on the first day of class. Also, my professor is the one professor in the department that all the other professors rave about. It will be a fun class, 2 papers that are shorter, but I know the professor is a hard grader, but still, I am not too worried. The class is fun, and its just part of being a student.

Poli Sci 470: Human Rights and Democracy. This is my capstone class. What does this mean? I am writing a 25 page paper with the goal of getting it published. It is a seminar course so there are 15 of us that sit around a table and discuss things. I have never taken a human rights course, but I think it will be interesting. In addition to the 25 page paper, there are 3 smaller papers I have to write, and weekly 1 page papers. It will keep me busy, but it also means I can graduate.

So that is the rundown of my classes. We'll try to post more frequently.

1 comment:

Mindy said...

I am so jealous of that biology class. I took it as a senior but got stuck in the freshpeople class. Not fun.