Wow, three posts in three days that's amazing. So I am going to do something a little different. I have been thinking the past couple of days if I could support Obama. What really is the "change" he will bring? Having spent 3 months working in the senate, I don't think anything will change until 1 party gets a cloture proof majority (that is 60). The democrats say they can do it this year, we'll see. So enough of the change argument. The president really needs 60 people on his side to do what he wants, and I don't think either party will be that lucky.
So what does Obama say he is going to do? lets look at some issues (the ones that I think are important) and lets see if I agree.
1) Foreign Policy: "I want to use all elements of American power to keep us safe, and prosperous, and free. Instead of alienating ourselves from the world, I want America – once again – to lead… " (http://www.barakobama.com/). Well, duh, I think we all agree that the unilateral approach of the Bush administration hasn't been the best policy, but what about China? They are beginning to become a major power. What about Russia? They are acting a bit hostile. Should another cold war begin (I don't think it will) could Obama lead America through it? Probably not. He doesn't have a lot of experience in that area.
Now, lets be fair. What does McCain say? "The global war on terrorism, wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, threats from rogue states like Iran and North Korea, and the rise of potential strategic competitors like China and Russia mean that America requires a larger and more capable military to protect our country's vital interests and deter challenges to our security. America confronts a range of serious security challenges: ..." (http://www.johnmccain.com/). Sounds a bit hawkish to me don't you think. But at least he acknowledges potential problems with China and Russia. Is a bigger, stronger better? Realists sure think so. I for one like to be a bit more idealist and think the UN might actually be able to be a relevant body, but I don't know.
Lets face when Obama talks about working with others, he is talking about Europe. I honestly think while Europe doesn't like us now, a democrat won't change things. The EU is changing the face of International Relations, and soon Europe will be more focused on themselves, and won't need the United States for much.
2) Energy: Obama's proposal is to: provide short-term relief to American families facing pain at the pump;Help create five million new jobs by strategically investing $150 billion over the next ten years to catalyze private efforts to build a clean energy future. Within 10 years save more oil than we currently import from the Middle East and Venezuela combined. Put 1 million Plug-In Hybrid cars -- cars that can get up to 150 miles per gallon -- on the road by 2015, cars that we will work to make sure are built here in America. Ensure 10 percent of our electricity comes from renewable sources by 2012, and 25 percent by 2025. Implement an economy-wide cap-and-trade program to reduce greenhouse gas emissions 80 percent by 2050. (http://www.barakobama.com/) I agree with most of these points. We need to be greener but it is going to be pretty expensive. So guess what that means. Higher taxes. Not that that is a bad thing. I would pay higher taxes to support these programs. But we can't forget market forces. How will we get 1 millions plug in cars on the road in a mere 7 years (we could be pretty close now, I don't know) what will be done to make the cars affordable for the consumer to buy them?
Here is McCain: "To Mitigate The Threats Posed By Our Dependence On Foreign Oil, We Must Increase Oil Production Here At Home. As Part Of His Plan To Break The Stranglehold Of Oil, John McCain Supports The Development Of Alternate Sources Of Power For Our Vehicles And The Promotion Of Energy Efficiency. John McCain Will Propose A $300 Million Prize To Improve Battery Technology For Full Commercial Development Of Plug-In Hybrid And Full Electric Automobiles" (http://www.johnmccain.com/). So these are just quick bullet points but, it sounds a lot like Obama.
3) Healthcare: Obama says "My plan begins by covering every American. If you already have health insurance, the only thing that will change for you under this plan is the amount of money you will spend on premiums. That will be less. If you are one of the 45 million Americans who don't have health insurance, you will have it after this plan becomes law. No one will be turned away because of a preexisting condition or illness" (http://www.barakobama.com/). Is that a single payer system (code for socialized healthcare)? Not necessarily. I like this idea. Having not been insured, privately insured, and now in a group plan, I like the idea of guaranteed health insurance, but can we afford to increase entitlement programs? I watched the democrats and republicans argue for 6 weeks on how to change medicare. The fact is the country can't afford medicare now and this seems like a huge medicare program.
McCain says: "We want a system of health care in which everyone can afford and acquire the treatment and preventative care they need. Health care should be available to all and not limited by where you work or how much you make. Families should be in charge of their health care dollars and have more control over care" (http://www.johnmccain.com/). Surprise, surprise. This sounds like Obama's plan. I worry about healthcare reform. The current system is broken, I'm not sure it can be fixed. But maybe whoever is elected should consider the Wyden-Bennett bill.
Ok, so now some thoughts on what I consider non-issues. Roe vs. Wade: I don't think we need to be concerned with this decision being overturned. I don't think the supreme court will hear it again. Nor do I think the balance of power on the Supreme Court will change. The Conservatives have the majority, and if a democrat is president, none of them will retire, and I don't think there will be 2 vacancies in the next 4 years, but there might be. And I know federal courts are important, but there is more to judical appointments than abortion rights. Having said that, I am pro-life. I used to be pro-choice, but that changed a while back. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights states that everyone has the right to life. We could argue when life starts. Biology teaches that life emerges at the cellular level. Therefore, anything that is at least 1 cell (that means even the smallest of zygotes and fetuses) is alive. Another part of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights says that we cannot infringe on other peoples rights. Well, I believe that abortion infringes on a zygote's right to live. Therefore I agree with Mccain on the issue.
Another issue that is becoming popular, gay rights. What does that term mean? We were actually talking about this is my human rights class yesterday. To understand gay rights, I think we need to define what a right is. I think that a "right" is something that allows a person to live a dignified life. So my litmus test is "Can a human live a dignified life with out it." I know this isn't perfect, but using that definition, do homosexual couples have a right to insurance, visitation in hospitals, death benefits, and so on. I think they do. I base this on the idea of domestic registries. If we are providing these things to unmarried heterosexual relationships, they should be extended to all. What about marriage. Can a homosexual live a dignified life without being married? Yes. Therefore they do not have a right to marry. On that same line, heterosexuals can live a dignified life without being married. I don't think marriage is a human right. I think it is ordained of God, and I think marriage comes from him, not the state. It doesn't matter what religion you are, marriage is a religious institution. I also believe the purpose of marriage is to procreate. For that reason alone, homosexuals can't fulfill that purpose. Now, I am not saying they can't have a family. That is another issue that I don't want to get into.
So those are some quick thoughts. Right now, I can't vote for Obama. I think his message of change is empty. Nothing looks terribly different from the way things are operating now. I would rather have someone who has experience on the federal level, especially in foreign policy, than someone who has only been in the senate for a few years. That being said, I look forward to the debates because I think that is when we will get a better idea about the differences between the two candidates, but before I can support Obama, I need to know what his "change" will be. Because I think McCain will "change" things as well.
I don't know if anyone is still reading this. If you are I hope my ideas have made you think. Maybe I'll do more of this in the future. I don't know. Fell free to comment, but keep in mind I do not want to start a political debate. Most of us are opinionated, and I have learned emotions take over in debates, and we fail to remain objective.
Oh and if you want to read Obama's Blueprint for Change go here http://www.barackobama.com/pdf/ObamaBlueprintForChange.pdf
2 comments:
So I still don't know who to vote for in November but I feel more educated now. I guess this means we're watching the debates together, huh?
Post a Comment