It's Kerri speaking this time. I just thought I would let you know ahead of time since I don't do this very often and I might get a little sentimental today. So as you all know, I listen to country music. I somehow got hooked onto it when Chase and I were engaged. (I think it's because I was uber emotional and you can always find an emotional roller coaster on any country station.) So I am driving to work this morning and they played a song by Alan Jackson that he wrote to remember the events of 9/11. Today marks 7 years since that tragedy happened and the song caused me to reflect on life (not to mention cry my eyes out in the car right before teaching a class). I thought about where I was on that September morning. I was a freshmen in college, still sound asleep since it was seven in the morning here in Utah. I awoke to hear my roommate yelling about something and my first though was what boy drama did I miss out on the previous night. She told me to come look at the tv and I walked to the common room and was frozen in shock. I remember being scared and calling my family to make sure everything was alright. Baltimore isn't anywhere near New York but Washington, DC is. My first class was Russian but we spoke in English that day and discussed the events that we're happening. That day was supposed to be the first devotional so I went to the Marriott Center at 11am. The place was completely full of solemn students reflecting on the events of the morning and listening to our university President give us words of comfort and hope.
As I thought about that day this morning, I felt really grateful for all the important things in life. On September 11, stresses that seemed so important became trivial. People took stock of their lives and reevaluated what really mattered and that's what I was thinking about this morning. I am so blessed. I have an amazing husband who loves me and takes care of me and works like a dog to get his education and still takes the time to make me laugh or let me cry. I have a wonderful job teaching college that I not only enjoy but pays well and has excellent benefits. I live in a great apartment and I can not only afford food but luxuries in life such as cable tv. I have a great family that supports Chase and I. I am just very happy with the important things in my life and that's really what I wanted to blog about today. Yes, life is hard and the unexpected can affect us at any given moment but when we really look at what's important, we might see that life is a lot better than we remember.
No comments:
Post a Comment