So as I reported last week, I was able to see President Bush and Marine 1, but instead of greeting him as he got off of Marine 1, we actually saw him leave on his 5 day tour of the Middle East. It was actually pretty cool to watch Marine 1 fly over the mall and land in the backyard of the White House. I was about 200 feet away from the residence, and maybe 100 yards from the oval office standing on the front row as the President and Mrs. Bush walked past us on the way to the helicopter.
Now that I am assigned to a staffer my days are getting more full. Last week I spent my days putting together a briefing book for the senator. Who knew that all those weeks I had to assemble 14 Council Books back in Provo were actually helping me develop valuable workplace skills? I actually surprised other members of my team with how fast I got the book done. I actually put 2 books together, and they are thick.
This weekend was a lot of fun. Kerri and I went to Williamsburg. It took us about 3 hours to get there because of oddly behaving traffic but the drive was worth it. Friday night we walked around Colonial Williamsburg because everything was closed by the time we got there, but Saturday was spent touring the Governor's Palace (which as a fun, and kind of difficult, hedge maze in the back) the Peyton Randolph home, the Wyth home, and other places. This past weekend was also some 50th anniversy of a Fife and Drum thing so there were lots of Fife and drum Corps. playing all day. If I hear fifes anytime in the near future I might scream. They were cool, but fifes get annoying really fast. That night we went on a night "tour" where we sat in 3 different homes while professional story tellers told actual myths about the area.
Sunday we went to the Courthouse, the Capital, the printer, the binder, blacksmith, and wig maker. Over the weekend we ate at 3 of the four taverns, filled up on unbelievably good ginger ale and root beer, and had really good sugar cookies, or as they were called back then, shrewsbury cakes. and then we drove home.
This week has been a rough one. I can't seem to get enough sleep, and our mail person is in Utah until Thursday, so I have to go to the office at 8 to sort the mail, and I have had to stay till 6. This morning I proofread the Senator's speech and then went to the gallery to watch him deliver it. I was surprised at how good of a public speaker he is. On a side note, I got to ride over to the capitol with him and he truly is a genuinely nice guy who isn't pretentious at all. He is like a grandpa. Whenever I am around him I am amazed at how sincere and genuine he is.
I don't know what else the week has in store for us. Kerri has orientation this week, things at work are getting busy because next week is the recess.
Soon we will post pictures of our adventures. I tried tonight, but when everyone in the building is on the computer the internet is really slow. Hopefully Kerri will post some during the day when no one is home.
No comments:
Post a Comment