Tuesday, September 8, 2009

My first day

I just got home from in internship and Kerri is still teaching so I thought I'd blog about my day.

I hate the commute. The free UTA pass and the job make up for the 1 hour commute to and from SLC. The express bus is really nice (except for the annoyed man whose laptop I accidentally bumped while exiting the bus).

Other than the commute I love what I will be doing. Today I felt a bit like a fish out of water. Not because I was the new guy but because I am seeing a whole new side of city government. Let me explain. Most of my working/interning life has been on the legislative side. Even my internship with the Senator was not that different since I had been doing the same thing as a Legislative Assistant. I am not a legislative assistant anymore. Which is good. I plan on getting an MPA which is used for city administration anyway so I am really glad to finally have a chance to see the "other side."

I spent the day in meetings. I met the division heads in my department. Learned about what everyone else is working on and then went to a briefing with the Mayor's office. I met the Mayor and a few others. I have to say the Mayor is shorter than I thought he was, but he knows how to dress well. In fact, I'd rank him alongside the Senator when it comes to dress.

After the briefing I went to lunch, and then went to another meeting, then I had to go across town for drug testing. But, since I don't have a car, and interns can't drive city vehicles someone had to drive me. The nurses messed up my paperwork so the drug test took longer than it should have but that's life. I then returned to the office for more meetings and came home.

So that is my day. Tomorrow I should have a computer and will be able to dig into the projects that are lined up.

A couple of observations:

I am clearly working in Ute territory. No big deal, It always surprises me how big the rivalry really is.

The smell of coffee permeates the building in the mornings. A lot of employees drink coffee. I'm not judging their choices one way or another, it is just something that is different.

Salt Lake City operates differently than Provo. I know this is a no brainer but for someone who is as used to the way Provo operates it was interesting to see the differences. It almost felt like working for the Senator. Everything is bigger and done at a faster pace.

I think that sums it up. I'm sure I'll have stories to tell later on. This internship feels more like a job to me than an internship and I'm really glad I took it.

3 comments:

rob said...

I'm really happy for you, Chase. I hope you learn a lot of great things and having made that commute for months, I can tell you that guy on the bus can just get over getting his computer bumped. At least he didn't have to sit next to a guy who looks and smells like a pirate yell at him that college isn't necessary, he should just go to the Job Corps because that's better.

The Brok Sorensen Family said...

Chase and Kerri, I am glad I finally got a chance to find your blog and get on it! Looks like everything is going well for ya! I am glad!

Nolan and Erica said...

I can't help up notice the similar looks in our blog. the same background the picture of me and erica and the two of you by the ocean in the evening. good taste. hope to see you soon.