Friday, September 4, 2009

No longer part of the 9.7% of Americans that are unemployed

That's right. I'm no longer unemployed. Just when I was about to withdraw from the labor force, I was offered an opportunity. I was offered an unpaid internship with Salt Lake City. The only thing better would to be getting paid, but that's ok. I start on Tuesday and am looking forward to working on some really interesting projects. And, its going to look good on my resume.

Of course now that I am interning and am spending 2 hours of my day commuting I have to cut back on my volunteer hours at the campaign. The campaign was a great experience, but it is time to move on. It also looks like I have at least one paid job prospect on the horizon, but who knows when that will ever materialize.

I'm ready to put my skills back to work and stretch my capabilities. Sometimes things just fall in your lap, and I feel like this one kind of did.

Anyways, that is my good news for the day.

Remember the movie "Evolution" from about 10 years ago? below is one of the best parts. It doesn't make sense if you don't remember how the alien is killed, but if you do, you'll chuckle.

2 comments:

Svedi Pie said...

Yay! That's awesome! So glad that you found something. What are you doing with the internship?

ccarlile said...

I am working for the Department of Community and Economic Development and so I'll be able to work on a lot of different projects. The first one will be on the liquor law changes that Mayor Becker is proposing. This type of stuff is right up my alley and it will look great when I start filling out graduate school applications in a few weeks.