Sunday, June 8, 2008

Its feeling hot, hot, hot!

The weather has gone crazy. Utah is cold, and we are having a heat index of 105+. It started yesterday and is going to continue for the next little while. It was so warm today that instead of going out to look at things, I decided it would be more beneficial if I stayed inside and slept, so we have spent the day inside taking a nap. Tonight we are going to do one of our 50 walking tours of DC when instead of it feeling 105 degrees, it will only feel like 95 degrees.

This week at work was nice. I don't really know what all I did. I think it would be safe to say that I spent the week filing things, preparing briefing books, and giving tours of the Capitol. I like my job, but some tours are very difficult. This week I had a tour with only 5 people. 2 adults, and 3 children. They were the most awfully behaved children in the world. They kept touching the artwork, they almost set of the alarm when they ran into the crashbar on a door, they laid down in the middle of the rotunda, all the while the parents were oblivious, or trying to lobby me for better medicare benefits, the dad is a doctor in Bountiful and wanted to register his complaints about medicare.

Sometime this week, I think it was Wednesday, we had a tornado touch down around the Capitol so no one was allowed outside of the building while crazy weather passed by. It was really crazy. We had horizontal rain, high winds, lightning, thunder, swirling clouds. It reminded me of Tennessee. The storm actually killed a person in VA, when a tree landed on his car. There were huge power outages, the orange line on the metro had problems, MARC had problems, and traffic was horrible.

Because of the rain, Thursday was really humid, which meant that I utilized the tunnel system at the Capitol. Friday we went to Old Town Alexandria where we toured a coal powered power plant, and then heard a community activist speak about why the plant should be torn down, and the problems the residential neighborhood that was built right next to the plant, after the plant was already there have. I had no sympathy for the activist, but did suggest they try to lobby the city and state to pay to move the plant. It worked with Khuni's so it might work here.

Friday night we went to a play in Arlington called "The Mystery of Imra Vep" the theatre is located in the mall, and it is a two man show with 6 characters. Most of the lines in the play are borrowed from books, movies, and TV shows. Rob and Chelsea would love it. Because it is a two man show with 6 characters, they have to change really fast. One of the quick changes takes as little as 9 seconds. It was pretty cool. If anyone ever gets a chance to see it they should. It is really funny.

Yesterday was spent inside museums because it was so hot. My friend Anna was out here looking at graduate programs, so we met up with her in the afternoon. It was nice to see her. Last night we went to an IMAX production at the Museum of Natural History. We saw a U2 concert in 3d. It was fun. When we walked outside after the production, we looked into the air and saw a ton of heat lightning. About every 2 seconds there would be a flash. It was very ominous.

Today was church. All the tutors sang a song in sacrament meeting because the tutoring program is over for the year, and I gave a lesson in elders quorum. It went bad but that's OK.

This week is sure to be busy. I don't know with what, but we are spending the weekend in Maryland to go to an Orioles game, and spend Fathers day with Pop. So check back, I am sure we'll have stuff to tell all y'all about.

No comments: