Thursday, August 20, 2009

The long overdue update

I know I haven't posted anything of any importance on here in a long time. Therefore, I don't expect many people to be looking at this, but I feel its time for an update.

Summer is over. It has been the longest, hardest summer of my existence. Even the summer I spent in the rolling hills of Kentucky without a car in 90% humidity while wearing dark pants and a tie, getting so parched my vocal cords no longer vibrated was easier than this summer. Of course we all know the reasons why this summer has been particularly difficult so I won't go into details.

Kerri has started teaching again, while the normal semester doesn't start until next week, this week she is enjoying her days listening to BYU professors and others speak at Education Week, and she is busy teaching a refresher course at night at UVU. Next week she begins teaching 3 classes at UVU (1 shy from full time, dang it!) and the week after she will teach 1 class at BYU. While it is quite the pay cut we finally get A lot stickers for BYU which make us feel special.

I have spent the summer figuring out what I want to be when I grow up. But to do that I have to spend a couple more years in school so I am studying for the GRE. I started at the beginning of the month and have been getting 5-10 hours of studying in a week. The test is at the end of of September and I figure 40 hours of studying should get me the desired outcome. In addition to studying for the GRE, applying for jobs, getting out right rejected by companies, and failing to make it past the first interview because I am overqualified, I have decided that if I can't get paid doing what I love I'll do it for free. So I have started volunteering, partly because I like the cause, but also because it would look good on my resume when I apply for graduate school.

I bet most of you are thinking volunteering is a great way to get a job offer. I'm not holding my breath, but hopefully it will open some doors. I don't want to get into details about what I am volunteering for at this point, but it's pretty safe to say it won't lead to anything in the immediate future.

So I study for about 10 hours a week, volunteer about 10 hours a week, and try to job hunt 10 hours a week, but I basically waste a lot of time.

Like I said, not much is happening. We might be moving in the near future, we might not be. Who knows anymore. I have come to learn that just getting out of bed earns you a gold star some days. I have gotten out of bed everyday for the past 2 weeks, so 14 gold stars for me.

1 comment:

Frances said...

Hey I think that is a noteworthy way to spend time in between studying and job hunting! Good for you!