Boy did this summer go by fast. I just got home from my last day at work. It was really hard to leave. I made it all the way downstairs to my supervisor's office without sobbing, but once I said goodbye the waterworks began. I was really embarrassed. She told me thanks for being a great intern, and if there is anything she can ever do to help to let her know. I figure if nothing else I have created some really good connections when it comes to jobs.
Today was a lot of fun. After folding and sealing 275 pieces of mail Kerri met me and the other health staff for lunch. At lunch the health staff gave me a parting gift. It is a key chain with the Senate seal on it. We are actually going to use it as a Christmas tree ornament. The Health staff director told me that they all felt like they lucked out with the best intern. So I felt special
After lunch I stopped in to the Library of Congress. Today was the last day that my ID will get me onto the main reading room floor (you know, the one they always show in the movies) It is fantastic. While I was there I looked at the Gutenberg Bible. It was pretty neat.
Then I went back to work, tied up some loose ends and left. Today all the interns got off at noon to go to museums. Of course, with everything going on I didn't leave till almost three. It is sad knowing that my all access pass to the capitol is now void, and that I will no longer see it everyday. I am really pleased with my work. My one regret is that I don't have a bachelor's yet, otherwise I could have applied for a full time regular position.
So allow me to be a bit reflective for a moment while I tell you why I believe internships are so great. I learned a lot about life being an intern. While I am sure my writing skills improved, I learned to always be prepared for any meeting you have, and know what your goal is, otherwise you look a bit like an idiot. I learned that being an L.A is hard work, and I might not want to do it as a career. I learned I really like the idea of being a lobbyist (but to be a good one, experience on the hill is necessary). I learned the importance of teamwork. I learned how to be responsible. I learned how to leave work at work, and to come home and enjoy time with my wife. I learned I love the city, but really need a car to be able to escape it sometimes. I learned how to network. I learned how government really works.
The decision to come to DC this summer was the best decision Kerri and I have made together (besides getting married). We both have made lots of friends, and I wouldn't doubt if we ended up back here for something, someday.
I am going to miss my friends at work, but I am satisfied with the job I did. Hopefully I exceeded their expectations. I'm not sure when we will next blog. We are packing up and moving back to Utah in the next few weeks. We have a pit stop to make in Baltimore first. While we are there I don't know how much we will blog. We'll be spending most of the time with family and might not want to spend a lot of time blogging. After all, we only get to see Kerri's family every 6 months or so.
No comments:
Post a Comment