Friday, July 3, 2009

Happy Independence Day!

Today I went to the Freedom Festival here in Provo. It's just this fair they put on with carnival food, a few rides and tons of local vendors. It's not amazing but I just love going for some strange reason. The festival also has a stage where local artists perform so I sat down to listen to the concert. And of course, one of the songs the guy sang was "God Bless The USA". Most of you will remember that song because it was constantly played after 9-11.

Anyway, I was thinking about when Chase and I were in DC last summer for the 4th of July. I don't think there is a more amazing place to be than our nation's capital. We were even fortunate enough to go to the concert on the Capital lawn and to see the fireworks over the Washington Monument. There was just something incredible about celebrating independence day so close to many of the monuments that are dedicated to the people who protected our freedom.

And I have to mention that we also visited Valley Forge and Philadelphia last year which was even more representative of the people that fought for our independence from Britain. I know I'm a little overly patriotic but I am grateful that I live in America and that I have the freedoms that I do. Plus I love having a reason to shoot off fireworks every year and to have a big parade and listen to Sousa marches and dress in nothing but red white and blue. I just love it all! Here are some pictures from last year's festivities:



This is Independence Hall in Philadelphia where the Declaration of Independence was signed. I thought I should include it too.





This was my favorite float in the parade. It's a replica of raising the flag at Iwo Jima.

No comments: