Saturday, June 6, 2009

Another worthless post

Those of you who read this regularly know that one of the things that makes me smile no matter how depressed I am is ABBA. Wow, that's weird. My anti-depressant is ABBA. I don't know what to think of that. Anyway, I'm kind of blue today so I present random, useless, ABBA facts.

ABBA stands for the four members of the group: Agnetha, Bjorn, Benny, and Anni-Frid
"Waterloo" won the 1974 Eurovision competition
"Dancing Queen" Spent 6 weeks at #1 in the UK
"Fernando" spent 14 weeks at #1 in Australia
"Dancing Queen" was ABBA's only #1 single in the USA
My freshman year I had a roommate named Fernando and to bug him we would sing "Fernando" to him
Agnetha played Mary Magdaline in "Jesus Christ Superstar"
"Name of the Game" is the song played during Ashley's dream sequence in "Abba-The Move"
Yes, there is really Abba-The Movie
Agnetha and Bjorn were married in 1971
Agnetha and Bjorn's marriage was named the event of the year in Sweden
Agnetha and Bjorn divorced in 1979
"I do, I do, I do, I do, I do" was ABBA's least successful single, peaking at #38
At the height of Abba frenzy in the late seventies, sales in communist eastern Europe were so high the group had to accept payments in oil because countries such as Poland were running out of foreign exchange.
ABBA released 18 albums
ABBA sold over 300 million albums
82 different artists have done covers of ABBA songs

I think that is enough for now, but below is ABBA's 1974 Eurovision performance of "Waterloo"



And to be fair, I have posted the winner of Eurovision 2009. NORWAY!



PS- One day Kerri and I will be in the audience of a future Eurovision competition. And, Kerri will be a Balkan Girl.

1 comment:

Nolan and Erica said...

I loved the abba Post, Especially Eurovision 2009! That guy is great, and the dancers were awesome, but I must say the lyricist and the choreographer leave quite a bit to be desired! By the way, Be sure to let me know when to go to the competition sounds like a real party, I wouldn't to miss out on that!